Medicare in Haines City, FL
Medicare is federal health insurance for anyone 65 and older and some people under 65 with certain disabilities. Deciding which Medicare coverage is right for you can be complex, so speaking with an agent before choosing your coverage is beneficial.
At 1st Class Insurance Services, LLC dba Cathy Boyd’s Insurance Agency, we’re here to help you navigate Medicare and find the best coverage for your health care needs.
What Is Medicare?
Medicare is health care coverage for qualified individuals. There are multiple parts to Medicare, including the following:
- Part A, also known as hospital insurance, helps cover health care costs associated with inpatient hospital stays, skilled nursing facility care, hospice care and some home health care. Medicare Part A is a part of Original Medicare.
- Part B, also known as medical insurance, helps cover services from doctors and other health care providers, including outpatient care, home health care, durable medical equipment and some preventive care services. Medicare Part B is part of Original Medicare.
- Part C, also known as Medicare Advantage, is an alternative to Original Medicare. Private companies approved by Medicare offer it. If you purchase a Medicare Advantage Plan, you still have Medicare, but you will receive coverage through the Medicare Advantage Plan, not from Original Medicare. Most Medicare Advantage Plans include Part D Medicare prescription drug coverage. Some Medicare Advantage Plans offer additional dental, vision coverage and fitness memberships.
- Part D, also known as Medicare prescription drug coverage, helps cover the costs of medications prescribed for your health condition. You join a Medicare prescription drug plan in addition to Original Medicare or receive it by joining a Medicare Advantage Plan with drug coverage.
- Medigap, also known as Medicare Supplemental Insurance, is a supplemental health insurance sold by private companies to help cover health care costs that Original Medicare does not, such as copayments and deductibles. If you decide to purchase a Medigap policy, you will still have your Original Medicare. You can only purchase Medigap insurance if you’re enrolled in Original Medicare. You do not need to purchase a Medicare Advantage Plan if you have a Medigap policy.
When Is Medicare Enrollment?
The enrollment process for Medicare can be a little different for everyone. Be sure to check with the Social Security Administration three months before your Initial Enrollment Period of Medicare to be sure everything is in order if you are eligible for automatic enrollment. You will automatically start receiving Medicare Part A and Part B benefits on the first day of the month you turn 65 if you are:
- Receiving Social Security benefits (at least four months before turning 65)
- Receive Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits (at least four months before turning 65)
People under 65 are eligible to enroll in Medicare if they’ve gotten Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or certain RRB disability benefits for at least 24 months. If you have been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, you’re eligible for automatic enrollment into Medicare the first month you receive SSDI or an RRB disability annuity check.
If you are about to turn 65 or are not receiving Social Security or RRB benefits, you must apply with SSA to receive Medicare Part A and Part B. Enrollment can vary based on individual circumstances, so be sure to contact an agent if you have questions about your enrollment process.
How to Get Started with Medicare
Knowing which Medicare plan is right for you can be complicated and confusing, and you shouldn’t have to navigate alone, so we’re here to help. Reach out to an agent at 1st Class Insurance Services, LLC dba Cathy Boyd’s Insurance Agency to learn more about your enrollment process today.
**Currently, we represent 12 organizations, which offer 82 products in your area. You can always contact Medicare.gov, 1-800- MEDICARE, or your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) for help with plan choices.**